Monday, February 07, 2011
A.P. world history course outline: Strayer
(pages: 97-124, years: 500B.C.-500A.D.)
SUGGESTED DISCUSSION QUESTIONS YOU MAY POST ABOUT:
1. How did Persian and Greek civilizations differ in their political organization and values?
2. Why did semidemocratic governments emerge in some of the Greek city-states?
3. What were the consequences for both sides of the encounter between the Persians and the Greeks?
4. What changes did Alexander’s conquests bring in their wake?
5. How did Rome grow from a single city to the center of a huge empire?
6. How and why did the making of the Chinese empire differ from that of the Roman Empire?
7. In comparing the Roman and Chinese empires, which do you find more striking— their similarities or their differences?
8. How did the collapse of empire play out differently in the Roman world and in China?
9. Why were centralized empires so much less prominent in India than in China?
10. What common features can you identify in the empires described in this chapter?
11. In what ways did these empires differ from one another? What accounts for those differences?
12. Are you more impressed with the “greatness” of empires or with their destructive and oppressive features? Why?
12. Do you think that the classical empires hold “lessons” for the present, or are contemporary circumstances sufficiently unique as to render the distant past irrelevant?
CHP4 - Eurasian Empires (500b.c.-500a.d.)