Thursday, February 10, 2011
A.P. world history course outline: Strayer
(pages: 181-207, years: 500B.C.-500A.D.)
SUGGESTED DISCUSSION QUESTIONS YOU MAY POST ABOUT:
1. How did the history of Meroe and Axum reflect interaction with neighboring civilizations?
2. How does the experience of the Niger Valley challenge conventional notions of “civilization”?
3. In what ways did the arrival of Bantu-speaking peoples stimulate cross-cultural interaction?
4. With what Eurasian civilizations might the Maya be compared?
5. In what ways did Teotihuacán shape the history of Mesoamerica?
6. What kind of influence did Chavin exert in the Andes region?
7. What features of Moche life characterize it as a civilization?
8. In what ways were the histories of the Ancestral Pueblo and the Mound Builders similar to each other, and how did they differ?
9. “The histories of Africa and the Americas during the classical era largely resemble those of Eurasia.” Do you agree with this statement? Explain why or why not.
10. “The particular cultures and societies of Africa and of the Americas discussed in this chapter developed largely in isolation from one another.” What evidence would support this statement, and what might challenge it?
11. What generated change in the histories of Africa and the Americas during the classical era?
CHP7 - classical Africa & Americas